Bunker-buster Bomb, The Pentagon’s biggest bunker-buster bomb is among the weapons that could be used in a potential attack on Iran’s nuclear facilities, U.S. Lieutenant General Herbert Carlisle said.The 30,000-pound bomb, called a Massive Ordnance Penetrator, is included along with cyber measures in U.S. capabilities, Carlisle said today in discussing the conceptual approach being taken by Pentagon planners for possible military action in the effort to stop Iran’s nuclear program.
“Cyber is a domain,” Carlisle, the Air Force’s deputy chief for operations and plans, said at an industry conference in Arlington, Virginia. “There is offensive cyber operations and defensive cyber operations,” he said without elaboration.
President Barack Obama said March 6 there is a “window of opportunity” for diplomacy and sanctions to compel Iran to give up any effort to develop nuclear weapons before military action might be needed.
Describing an array of U.S. military options, Carlisle said, “All these things are on the table and being thought about as we do operational planning.”
Boeing Co. (BA)’s bomb, designed to used against underground bunkers, has “great capability and we are continuing to make it better,” he said. “It is part of our arsenal if it is needed in that kind of scenario.”
The Pentagon won congressional approval last month to shift $81.6 million in funds to improve the bunker-buster bomb.