Solved 33 years later: Carrie Jopek Murder

Published: October 20, 2015

Solved 33 years later: Carrie Jopek Murder, Carrie Jopek’s murder mystery, which sat cold for more than 30 years, is moving forward after suspect Jose Ferreira, Jr. called up a local Wisconsin TV station and confessed to killing the girl in the 1980s.

Ferreira, 50, has been charged with second-degree murder in the killing of the 13-year-old girl who went missing in 1982. The tragedy began in March of that year when Jopek’s mother, Carolyn Tousignant, received a phone call from Kosciuszko Middle School informing her that Jopek had been suspended, The Washington Post reported. Rather than pick up her daughter, Tousignant instead opted to let the girl walk the one block home.

But Jopek never made it, and her body was discovered 17 months later under a neighbor’s back porch, according to The Associated Press.

Until last week, no substantial evidence could tie Ferreira, who was 17 at the time and lived nearby, to Jopek’s death. At least not until a man who said he was Ferreira called up WISN this month and spilled his story.

According to Ferreira’s confession, he, Jopek, and other local teens skipped school that day to attend a house party on the block where they both lived, the Milwaukee-Wisconsin Journal Sentinel reported.

As he and Jopek prepared to go down to the basement to make out, Jopek began to have second thoughts. Ferreira shoved her down the stairs, which broke her neck. Thinking that she was merely unconscious, Ferreira sexually assaulted her. When he realized her neck had snapped, he buried her underneath the porch.

Ferreira is currently being held in the Milwaukee County Jail. He faces a 20-year sentence if convicted

“It’s been 33 years since she’s been gone,” Tousignant said, according to the AP. “I’ve been praying for this day.”


Please feel free to send if you have any questions regarding this post , you can contact on



Comments are closed.

Copyright ©2010-15 AP - United States America