Firefighter shot in NY: Firefighter Shot Staten Island

Published: August 14, 2015

Firefighter shot in NY: Firefighter Shot Staten Island, The high-ranking member of the Bloods street gang who shot a firefighter in a Staten Island home Friday died Friday in a gunfight with police following a tense six-hour standoff, law enforcement sources tell NBC 4 New York.

Garland Tyree, 38, was found dead in the home on Destiny Court in Mariners Harbor after a shootout at about 11:45 a.m., the sources say. Police officials said that his death came sometime after he ascended the stairs from his girlfriend’s basement apartment and opened fire with an assault rifle. Tactical police squads returned fire, but it wasn’t clear if Tyree was killed by officers’ bullets or if he took his own life.

A post on a Facebook page belonging to Tyree included the message “Today I die.” The message was posted at about 6 a.m. Friday. Police said writings about gang activity were also on the Facebook page.

Tyree, an alleged member of the Nine Trey Gangsters chapter of the Bloods, had been barricaded in the home since about 6 a.m., when he shot FDNY Lt. Jim Hayes, who had responded to the residence after U.S. Marshals tried to execute a parole violation warrant for the convicted felon.

Marshals had gone into the Tyree’s basement apartment and found it full of smoke, so they called in the FDNY, police say. Hayes, a 31-year veteran with the force, went inside to look for people inside and found Tyree hiding in the shower. That’s when the man allegedly opened fire, hitting Hayes in the buttocks and ankle.

Fire Commissioner Daniel Nigro said that Hayes ran from the apartment and didn’t realize that he had been shot until he was outside. Police then moved to set up a perimeter, and Tyree fired two more shots.

Heavily armed tactical teams and uniformed officers alike then swarmed the house, which was relatively quiet for more than 6 hours. They set up a line of communication with Tyree at about 7:40 a.m. and negotiators worked with the man.

Tyree told negotiators that he would only surrender if his mother were there, Lieutenant Jack Cambria, the chief hostage negotiator of the NYPD, said at a news conference attended by the mayor and police commissioner. Although she was in Delaware, police managed to fly her up to Staten Island. She was coached by police on what to say and joined Tyree’s girlfriend and negotiators. The mother and son spoke and said they loved one another. Tyree then agreed to surrender, police said.

As he was coming out of the apartment, Tyree fired numerous rounds at police, Assistant Chief Harry Wedin said. Police fired back and he was shot and killed.

Police Commissioner Bratton said that a smoke bomb was recovered at the scene. Police also found three handguns, a number of magazines and the fully automatic AK-47 that Tyree used to fire at officers.

“These were all in the hands of an individual who should not have them in the first place,” Bratton said.

An attorney for Tyree declined comment to the Associated Press. But a lawyer who represented him on a 2004 federal weapons conviction for which he was sentenced to 10 years said Tyree was “a really smart young man who’s never caught a break.”

“He managed to turn everything good that came his way into something bad, which is what happens when you grow up in a crack-infested environment,” Susan G. Kellman said.

Federal documents, however, portrayed Tyree — who had been arrested 18 times and was out of federal prison on parole after previously violating another parole order — as an influential member of the Nine Trey Gangsters with a violent history.

He pleaded guilty to weapon possession charges in connection with a 1995 murder and subsequently to two assaults while in custody — once slashing an inmate on a bus between court and the Rikers Island jail complex and another time slashing an inmate so badly he required 60 stitches.

A July 2013 letter from federal prosecutors maintains that even while on parole, he attended a 2012 meeting of gang members, used drugs and was paid dues by other gang members. In a court proceeding, Tyree denied he was still a Blood. A photo on what is thought to be his Facebook page, however, included a photo of him with a tattoo with the letters “NTG” above his eye.

Hayes meanwhile is recovering at a nearby hospital. Nigro said the man is “as comfortable as you can be” and is with his family. Nigro said Hayes, a 31-year FDNY veteran, is one of four brothers to join the force and is a Sept. 11 first responder.

“He’s lucky that he will survive this incident,” Nigro said. “He acted heroically.”


Please feel free to send if you have any questions regarding this post , you can contact on



Comments are closed.

Copyright ©2010-15 AP - United States America